Follow by Email

Friday, 30 December 2016

AMA Cruise and Land Tour in Provence - November 27th/15


After a big breakfast, we went on a guided tour of Lyon, which mainly covered the Vieux Lyon or the Old Quarter.  This included the cobbled streets, covered passageways (traboules), area around the Basilica Notre Dame of Fourviere, Renaissance palaces, quaint restaurants and bistros.


Next, we went to view the Frescoes of Lyon, which.are painted on the outside of various buildings. These are famous frescoes of historic persons from Lyon - this includes the Roman Emperor Claudius, who was born here.  


The local tour guide told us about the two famous Lyonnais puppets - Guignol and Bouchon  - restaurants which display the symbols of the two puppets officially meet the standards of the city, and these two French puppets are similar to the British “Punch and Judy” puppets. 


For lunch, we returned to the ship and I had one of my favorite dishes - escargots in the shell.  AMA put out a large self-serve container filled with escargots - I had more than a dozen with white wine.  Then chicken consomm√© with noodles and green beans, and marinated cod with mashed potatoes and vegetables.  For dessert, I had a small raspberry tart and small chocolate mousse.  I ate much more for lunch than usual, but everything was very good.

 
We didn’t have anything else scheduled for the rest of the day.  At 6:00 pm the AMADAGIO departed Lyon for Belleville on the Saone River.  


For dinner, the amuse bouche was mozzarella pearls, tomato coulis, and basil cream.  For the appetizer, I had the crabmeat cake with pineapple salsa and for the soup, cream of artichoke.  For the main course I had the grilled fillet of dorade with saffron risotto and vegetables.  For the dessert, the chocolate mousse was the riches one that I have ever had, and I had the red wine. 
 

I was having trouble with the heating in my cabin.  The Tour Manager offered me an upgraded cabin with a patio door/window at no additional charge, and I accepted.  The heating in the upgraded cabin worked fine - it was an improvement over the other one.



Photos belong to Phil Bianco 

No comments:

Post a Comment