Follow by Email

Sunday, 30 November 2014

Jaro and his bike are now in New Zealand.....


In late October, Jaro flew to New Zealand, and is staying on the North Island, in the town of Whangarei.  Here is his blog:
 
Why I picked Whangarei was the warm weather, and lots of little roads all around.  That is one of the problems with a place like San Diego (Solana Beach) - with a straight coastline, you only get roads on one side, because the other side is the ocean. With Whangarei being at the end of a long narrow bay, there are roads almost 360 degrees around.


Downtown
 I was also looking at the South Island because of the famous mountains, but after following their weather on-line for some time, I decided it was too cold there to spend the whole six months. Their max temps in summer were barely in the teens (C), and night time lows close to freezing (for the city of Dunedin).  Also, not as many small roads around, like Whangarei.

 
With a bit of luck (no injuries, etc.) I should be here until mid-April.  When I was leaving Montreal, the Air Canada people at the check-in did not want to let me go because I didn't have a return flight ticket.  I had to argue with them about having a 6-month visa, and that it made little sense to buy a return ticket that far in advance.  They only let me go when I showed them a copy of my apartment lease in Whangarei.

Bike arrived in great shape, but it cost a bundle -- the two fees added come to $200 (one-way).

Nights are fairly chilly here actually - had to buy a little heater (the house has no fixed heaters, other than a radiant light in the bathroom ceiling).   Nice modern library in downtown Whangarei, complete with internet.


Photos belong to Jaro Franta.

No comments:

Post a Comment