Follow by Email

Sunday, 17 November 2013

My second cruise - 15 days through the Panama Canal.....



This was my second cruise -  15 days through the Panama Canal with Celebrity Millennium.  Why I picked it was because the cruise was inexpensive, I wanted to go on a shorter trip than last year, and I was looking forward to Ft. Lauderdale where I was going to spend two days.   Because I was travelling alone, and wanted to not spend too much, I took an interior cabin.


I was searching for a cruise all spring long; finally I picked the Panama Canal, and I asked my Expedia travel agent to send me the prices leaving at the end of September.   Of course, I wanted to  spend my birthday on the ship.  From what she sent me, this was the cheapest cruise, and I booked it on July 15th.   But remember that the price would be x2 this, because I was travelling alone.


The travel agent found me airfare from Edmonton to Ft. Lauderdale and then San Diego to Edmonton.  You have to pay $26.50 for a bag in Edmonton, and in San Diego,  $25 American money.

From reading my blog,  I use aeroplan miles.  On their website, under UseyourMiles, I  printed off two Expedia cruise certificates ...  $500 credit for 64000 miles, which saved $1000.

In Ft. Lauderdale, I stayed at the Pillars Hotel.  I only stayed here because it was off-season, but it was #2 on TripAdvisor, so who wouldn't.....


So here are the costs:

Cabin, taxes and tips    $ 2649.42
Flight                                554.81
Bag                                    51.50

Pillars Hotel                     446.67

 Total    $3702     less $1000 aeroplan certificates .....    $2702


Olympic Restaurant on Millennium


On Saturday, October 5th at 9:30 a.m., I flew to Houston.  I had lots of time, but still took a golf cart to my next gate and had something to eat.  I got to Ft. Lauderdale at 8 o'clock.  There was a shared ride at the airport for $11 - nice van - and it turned out to be only me riding in it.   

After checking in, I walked about 10 minutes  to the waterfront.   Very interesting, with lots of people.  Then I took a chauffeured bike ride to one of the restaurants the hotel recommended, and had an onion soup and key lime pie.


Now let's follow the cruise.....



If you would like to use my travel agent, Message me on FB.


No comments:

Post a Comment